Post hospital visit update

Dear Friends and Family,

First of all I am sorry that I have not been very good at returning phone
calls and some emails from you. Joyce asked if I would write the latest
update about my leg.

On the 8th of August I went back into Hershey Medical Center for a
"manipulation". Under a full epidural (but wide awake) my leg was bent from
45 degrees to 110 degrees. This was accompanied by a loud tearing noise,
the scar tissue ripping. Not a sound I would like to hear again. I spent 3
days in the hospital where they monitored my pain and progress.

I wish I could say things have really improved since then, but it is hard to
say. I am in more pain than prior to going in, especially through the
night. I am on a machine called a CPM (I call it "the rack") which bends my
leg. I am strapped into it 3 times a day, 2 hours each time, followed by an
hour of other stuff, for a total of 9 hours a day. I am to begin outpatient
therapy on top of this 3 times a week, so I will be doing 10 to 12 hours a
day for the next few weeks at least.

I got quite depressed when I came out of hospital as my leg didn't seem to
be moving much more than before, the pain was greater, and it was hard
for me to see where this was all going. I was probably as down and as angry
as I can ever remember being. Thankfully God sent some good people who just
came and sat with me over the past 2 days, encouraging me to press on.
Thank you so much for that, my friends.

I realise the seriousness of all of this, and that if I cannot get enough
movement over the coming weeks, before the scar tissue grows back again, I
will have trouble walking again. The girls and Joyce have been great at
helping me, and have unfortunately had to bear the brunt of my frustration
at all this.

If you are in the area, please feel free to drop around anytime. I am, so
to speak, a captive audience. Joyce could also use some encouragement and
some time away from me (please don't edit this part out, Joyce).
Thanks again everyone for caring so much and loving us so much.
Coz